THE TANGO POSITION AND HOLD
To understand the commencing position, stand with feet together facing wall, then keeping feet flat turn ¼ to L, at the same time slip RF 5-8 cms (2-3 inches) back so that the toe of the RF is approximately level with the instep of the LF.
The hold is similar to the hold in the moving dances, but is more compact:
1. The Man holds the Lady slightly more on his R side — although care must be taken not to exaggerate this position.
2. The Man's R hand will be placed slightly further across the Lady's back — the tips of his fingers reaching slightly beyond the Lady's spine, the line of the forearm sloping slightly downward. The Lady's L hand will be placed on the Man's back just under the Man's R armpit and her R hand will be placed in Man's L hand.
THE TANGO WALK
The differences in the Tango Walk as compared to the other dances are:-
1. There is no Rise and Fall.
2. The knees are held very slightly flexed but tone is maintained in the leg muscles.
3. Because of the Tango position, the LF Walk is taken in CBMP and the RF Walk is taking R side lead. In a similar way he RF Walk back is taken in CBMP and the LF Walk back with a L side lead. The Walk will normally curve to L
4. The feet are slightly lifted and placed on each step — rather than gliding to position as with other dances.
5. The feet are moved with a sharp or staccato action and the back fool on a Forward Walk is delayed as long as the music will allow. The Backward Walk is danced with a similar action.
6. When stepping forward in CBMP on LF and taking into account the curve to the L it is important that the L heel is placed on, not across, the line of the RF. When stepping back in CBMP on RF. in a similar way the R toe is placed on, not across, the line of the LF.
7. Whenever the Man steps back LF with a L side lead, the R heel will be released as RF commences to move back into the following step. At the commencement of all other back steps the front foot will be released. When the Lady steps back on either fool the front toe will be released.